Coordination and Communication
The North Flight Communications Center is staffed 24/7 by specially trained and experienced dispatch personnel. All staff is Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) certified and has received National Association of Air Medical Communications Specialists (NAACS) training. In addition, most employees are former firefighters or emergency medicine technicians (EMTs).
Handling more than 12,000 dispatch calls a year, the North Flight Communications Center crew is a highly effective team.
Key responsibilities include:
North Flight Air is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Transport Systems.
- Dispatching all 911 calls in Grand Traverse and Wexford counties
- Coordinating all ground and air interfacility transfers
- Facilitating a transfer home for patients from Munson Medical Center and Mercy Hospital Cadillac who arrived by ambulance and do not have another form of transportation
- Initial response and dispatch for all helicopter scene calls, as well as fixed wing transfers
- Monitoring of four frequencies and five phone lines
- Taking calls for intercepts with Leelanau, Antrim, and Kalkaska EMS
- Monitoring and tracking all North Flight ground ambulances